I know it might sound really weird but I have to say this is an amazing marriage of flavours. I am on a pizza binge as of late–because it is just so easy to pull together and I am trying to use up what I have purchased previously instead of buying stuff every night. This just happened to be what was hanging around my kitchen.
- I had a bag of dough left over from yesterday that I let rest on the counter to warm up.
- there was a HUGE avocado that I had picked up on the weekend and it was finally ready to use along with fresh cilantro that was on its last legs.
- pork loin was thawing the fridge –still a bit frosty
- a couple of apples/pears were lying around just begging to be eaten
- My cheese choices included some old cheese strings, some paneer, and a small block of aged white cheddar. I opted for the cheddar.
- First I slathered the skinny lean pork loin with EVOO, salt, pepper and grainy mustard – then roasted @ 450 degree F oven for 20 min…. end then I turned the oven down to 300, placing foil around it in order to keep it from drying. I added in some mango juice that was leftover in the fridge as well just to add a bit of flavour and moisture (but you can use apple juice, OJ or even just a bit of water).
When I was ready to do the pizza, I pulled out the heated stone ( i just keep it in the oven with the roasting pork) and placed the thin rolled out dough on it. At this point you should remove the PORK and let it rest and turn the oven to 400 Degrees again.
- Back to the Pizza Dough: spread some EVOO , salt and pepper, thin layer of cheese, and thinly sliced apples THEN pop into oven again (on the bottom of the oven floor if you have a peel and stone)
- Set timer for approx 10 min. Remove when crisp on bottom. You can broil the top a for a couple of minutes if the apples need browning up.
Remove from oven.
- Separate the pork with 2 forks and add on top of apple pizza
- Top with homemade Guacamole (fresh avocado, cilantro, finely chopped onion, lime zest and juice and salt and pepper to taste) or however you like your Guac.
- Walnuts would also be a great addition to the pizza and add some extra texture and interest.
I dare you to try it!
- Game Winning Hass Avocado Recipes (sports.avocadocentral.com)
- Blog post by Bridget O’Connor (bloggymoms.com)
- Shredded Pork Carnitas and Purple Potato Flatbread with a creamy Queso Sauce (dailycrave.wordpress.com)
- chipotle pork and slaw sandwhich (sunandglory.com)